The Catcher in the Rye


 



 Catcher in the Rye is a young adult novel written by J.D. Salinger. It was published in 1951. If you’ve read The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton, that book is also around that time era. Holden Caulfeild has flunked out or left at least three different high schools. He is the main character and narrator of Catcher in the Rye. The time he was sharing, he was sixteen. The book is about Holden, who left his third or fourth high school. It isn’t because his family moves around, it’s becase he flunked almost every class. The book isn’t about him thinking he stupid, because Holden is actually very smart. He gets expelled and his last day is the last day before winter break. Something happens and he leaves early. He doesn’t go home, instead he adventures around New York. Holden makes a lot of bad decisions and the book tells us about them.

      I believe that you either find Holden very annoying or very relatable. I’ve asked my aunt who’s around twenty years old, she said that she didn’t really like the book and she hated Holden. I am thirteen and I think a lot of thirteen year olds also think the same way Holden does. At first the title made no sense to me. And it most likely won’t for you either until about more than halfway through the book. He explains what a catcher in the rye is and where he heard it.

     If you don’t like books written in a casual or informal way, then you might not like this book. By that I mean the way the book is written it is all opinon and is written the way he normally talks. I think that could make the book hard to understand if you’re not the best at understanding inferences. A lot of things are said with metaphors or not actually described as what really happened. Instead you make inferences from what they do tell you. Overall I really liked this book and I would recommend it to however might like it. I hope if you decide to read it, you enjoy it.

Comments

  1. Nice Job! I totally agree about the title of the book. You don't get it until about halfway. I was on the other side though when I read this book in high school. I really liked Holden because he was so different than other teenagers I knew at the time. I'm so glad you liked the book! Keep up the great work in and out of the classroom!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment